Friday, June 25, 2010

First Purchase

My first purchase of cloth diapers was a GroBaby hybrid package from BabySteals.com. The package came with three covers and 150 biosoakers (disposable inserts). As soon as I got my package, I also bought some prefolds to use as soakers until I could get a good deal on some snap-in soaker pads. For about three weeks, I used those three covers and a dozen prefolds to cloth diaper both my kids during the day. And it worked. I had some leaking from my 2.5 year old daughter, but I wasn't too surprised. She is a heavy wetter, and I didn't always remember to change her every 1.5 to 2 hours.

With my six month old son, I only had two leaks. One was after about 4.5 hours in a diaper because he took a long nap. The other was a blow out the escaped slightly from the leg opening. With a disposable, that blow out probably would have been a lot worse.

I found the fit of the GroBaby covers to be good with my son. I had to use the smallest rise on him because he is so skinny (less than 15 pounds), but when I did that the legs were perfect. On my daughter, the covers works well with thin inserts. With thicker inserts, there isn't quite enough rise for me to be perfectly happy with the cover. Luckily, the new version of the cover (Gro-Via) has a 1/2 in ch longer rise. These would probably solve our problem with her.

I am hoping to check out the biosoakers on a trip in the next month. I am saving them for that trip because they take up a lot less room than disposables!

No comments:

Post a Comment